Friday, April 29, 2011

Another Vipera berus Envenomation

A second envenomation from Vipera berus in the last week has been reported. A 7-year old male was bitten on the middle finger of his right hand. He was being treated  with anti-venom at the University Hospital of North Tees, The boy was bitten at Sheep Wash, in Osmotherley, North Yorkshire, on Sunday while on a family outing. The family believed the snake to be a grass snake (Natrix natrix). The finger swelled up within seconds to more than double the size, and within half-an hour the swelling had spread to his wrist and his skin started to turn black. The full story is available at Peterlee Mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment